Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Man U win again, the NBA hands out awards and Formula 1 faces controversy

From where I sit it looks like yet another title for Manchester United...and it's pissing me off.



It's ridiculous that the top flights of football see so little turn-over in the winners. Since the Premier league was formed in 1992-93 only 5 different clubs have won the title. Just Manchester City (2012) and Blackburn Rovers (1995) break up the domination of United, Chelsea and Arsenal. It's one of the top leagues in the world, of any sport, but there is so little change at the top it gets frustrating to watch. Then the top clubs with the biggest budgets play against each other. I love seeing the change at the top...something enhanced by a salary cap. I know there's no hope of ever seeing that in Europe top league, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't like to see some different teams take the title.

The NBA is handing out their year-end awards. I think.



The NHL is the only major professional sport to actually hold an awards night. The others just make an announcement, then present the player with their trophy at the next home game. Even if that happens next season. I support honouring the player in front of the home fans...but how about a little extra show? I don't keep track of who's up for the 6th man award. I'm just not that into the NBA. These awards just appear every couple of days through the 1st round of the playoffs. I would like to see a night to honour the best players in the top league. There's one for the ESPYs...the Hiseman...NASCAR...and the aforementioned NHL. I would like to see something from the NBA, MLB and NFL.They wouldn't have trouble selling the idea to sponsors. And let's face it...it's a way to make more money.

And speaking of money...Formula 1 fans around the world got a stark reminder about the priorities of the top level of racing.



It's not just that Bahrain has a horrendous human rights record. Or that the country is known for it's violent put down of pro-democracy demonstrators. It's that Formula 1 doesn't seem to care. And it's not the first time F1 has courted controversy through their races. Theirs was the only international sporting event to head to South Africa during apartheid. Formula 1 super-boss Bernie Ecclestone is even looking at extending the contract an extra 5 years because they do a good job with the race. A good job at what? Keeping the protestors away? Accusing the global media of “spreading a hate campaign”? It's not often I'm embarrassed to be a sports fan, but it's events like this that make me question my love of racing.

At least that's how I see it...and I sit in the cheap seats.

No comments:

Post a Comment