Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Plenty to talk about in Cup Final

From where I sit it looks like the NHL should be excited for the Stanley Cup Final...

via nhl.com

And no, it's not just for the obvious reasoning of two of the world's biggest markets going head-to-head. It's that there's actually some interesting story lines going into the final. Not the least of which being the Kings seeming incapability to win a series in less than 7 games. However, it's not like the Rangers have been making quick work of anyone either. Of a maximum of 21 games Los Angeles has played 21, New York 20. The Kings have already faced elimination 7 times, the Rangers just 3. Although I don't have a cheering interest in either team I'm quite looking forward to seeing what this series can produce. Both goalies are world-class, finishing 2nd (Lundqvist) and 4th (Quick) in Sochi. Both are quite capable of putting in a stellar performance to hold their team in the game. And both looked amazingly average in the last series. Quick was shaky in games 5, 6 and 7 against Chicago; while Lundqvist was pulled in game 6 against the Habs. Both defences can be solid and porous in the same game. Both offences can be explosive and non-existant. Honestly, this looks to be a series that's just as likely to be a sweep as it is to go the distance. That being said, and given my poor performance in the Conference finals, I'm taking the Kings in 7. Maybe even in overtime. It's been 60 years since the last one, I think we're due.


At least that's how I see it, and I sit in the cheap seats.

No comments:

Post a Comment