Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Playoff talk and the NHL to Seattle?

From where I sit it looks like another pivotal-do-or-die-must-win game.




I am sick and tired of all the playoff talk. No, not discussing it. I enjoy talking sports as much as I love watching it. However, the mindless use of words or phrases gets quite tiresome by the middle of June. I don't need a reminder that it's a pivotal game. Or a must-win situation. And I really don't need the myriad of stats that accompany whatever game is being discussed. There are numbers to support every eventuality of every game, no matter what the outcome. I do have sympathy for sportscasters. It's not easy coming up with new ways to talk about the same issues every day. For 2 and a half months. I love the playoffs...I just would like more words to stave off the levels of repetition...shit.

The NHL is looking at the possibility of another team relocating.



I think Seattle would make a great NHL city. But not now. The problem is Key Arena. It's not designed for hockey. At all. It will only seat 11,000, with 2,000 of those having some sort of obstructed view. Seattle is a great sports city. The Seahawks, Mariners, Huskies, Sounders and Hydros are all well supported. The would put an NHL team in immediate competition. And with a terrible, outdated rink that would be a huge disadvantage. Key Arena has some great memories for basketball fans, but it is not a hockey rink, and certainly not an NHL arena.

At least that's how I see it...and I sit in the cheap seats.

No comments:

Post a Comment