Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Stop complaining about attendance in Sochi

From where I sit it looks like there aren't many people in Sochi...

via brunchnews.com

There are chunks of empty seats at many events. Let's be honest, this isn't a new problem. London had the same issues. I was at a hockey playoff game and a medal ceremony at the Vancouver games where there were empty seats. Both those events were theoretically sold out. There are so many issues when it comes to security and transportation this shouldn't be a surprise. It's like that at basically every Olympics. Even the largest city can't be fully prepared for the influx of people and security. If organizers say they've sold most of the tickets, I believe them. There certainly aren't many left on their website.  If fans can't make it out to events, I'm not surprised. In Vancouver, over a million people were taking transit in and out of the downtown core every day. Some times people will miss a connection, or get there late. My ticket package included a curling draw. I could have easily skipped (no pun intended) curling altogether. I'm not a huge fan of the sport and the ticket itself was only $20. I did go. And had a blast. But others might not have gone. For all the criticism, a good chunk of it justified, leveled at the Sochi games, organizers and Russian government in general, attendance is a minor detail.

At least that's how I see it...and I sit in the cheap seats.

No comments:

Post a Comment