Sunday, May 18, 2014

a close call for Ovi and a national champion from Yorkton

From where I sit it looks like the Capitals season just got a bit worse...

via vancouversun.com

And they quit playing in early April. While the NHL got a reminder about the dangers of having their players in the World Hockey Championships. Eric Staal was the victim last year, this time it's Ovechkin getting low bridged by some German pylon. Yes, Ovi was trying to avoid the hit, but that doesn't preclude the fact that one of the NHL's top stars could have been seriously injured by Marcus Kink. Kink is a pretty good defenceman with the Mannheim Eagles, but nearly lived in infamy for a hit. It's a delicate balance for the NHL and IIHF. We all like seeing the best players face off, but sometimes it seems like the cost could be way too high. Sadly, there isn't really a solution to the problem. No matter where you're playing there is always a risk of injury. Thankfully, Ovechkin looks to be alright. Which, given all the other issues facing the Capitals, must be a great relief.

A big congratulations to the Yorkton Terriers of the SJHL...


I spent 3 years in Yorkton with GX94 Radio and covering the Terriers on Access Cable. Without a doubt the most exciting part of my broadcasting career was being in the press box for back-to-back SJHL championships. Now, 8 years after I left, my team has won the national championship, RBC Cup. My daughter was born in Yorkton and was sitting next to me when Derek Falloon jammed the puck home to give the Terriers their first national title. We both cheered happily as our team piled on the ice to celebrate. I can only imagine what the scene was like in the bars and watering holes in Yorkton. A big congratulations to the team, coaching staff, ownership and of course the fans!

At least that's how I see it, and I sit in the cheap seats.

No comments:

Post a Comment