Thursday, October 10, 2013

The Pirates are out and a high school announcer gets in trouble

From where I sit it looks like the best story in MLB is over...

via sportingnews.com
 
Without a doubt the Pirates were the feel good story of the year. I have a clear memory of the last time Pittsburgh was in the playoffs. Many baseball fans remember this play...



Remember, Barry Bonds made that throw.  After years of pathetic baseball the Pirates can finally lay claim to a winning season. But even better than that is the reward of capturing the imagination of baseball fans. It gives hope to every struggling franchise, that someday things will turn around. I'm not saying there's a World Series in their future. There is hope. Belief is a very powerful tool in sports. For the first time in over 20 years, the team and their fans believe.
Using a quote from a professional has landed a high school sports announcer in a lot of trouble...



I feel bad for the kid to a degree. I've done play-by-play and colour commentary and found myself parroting my favourite announcers. Along with trying to create my own sound. In the vain hope someday there would be someone wanting to copy me. However, the phrase is just stupid. It's a tactless description of a player. Of any race. It shouldn't have been in the game either. What idiot at EA allowed that one? Johnson has tried to defend the phrase in a weak apology. I'm sorry, that simply doesn't belong in sports, or any other facet of life. It's not witty. It doesn't add anything to what's happening. It leaves the viewer wondering what the hell is going on. Yes, there are some people who have made a career out of coming up with screwy catch phrases, but for the most part it's weird/wacky/unique/bizarre (see Lange, Mike). It should never be questionable. It's a basic reporters mantra. When in doubt, leave it out.

At least that's how I see it...and I sit in the cheap seats.

No comments:

Post a Comment