Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Too loud at a hockey game?

From where I sit it looks like life is a bit out of control in the Soo...

via soogreyhounds.com

I have been to games at almost every level of hockey. Guess, what? It's loud. The old farts want to sit and chat? Wow, are you in the wrong place. Let's start with the basics. Hockey is not a quiet sport. Just by it's very nature. There's always noise in hockey. It's one of the things I love about the game. Skates digging into the ice. Sticks clattering against each other. Players hitting the boards. The puck thudding off the wall, clanking off the glass or even a ping off the post. It's a very auditory sport. So, right off the top the complaint about noise is a bit rich. However, the issue is the volume of the music. And yes, I will grant the decibel level at any sporting event rivals that of your average rock concert. But, the presentation won't change. As long as I've been going to games the music has been loud. The horn is loud too. And it's true at every rink. I feel bad that they're finding it difficult to chat about the game. However, it's the future generation of ticket buyers that like the noise. In 10 years they are the ones who will be buying season tickets and bringing their families to the game. And that's how the team survives for another 40 years.

At least that's how I see it...and I sit in the cheap seats.

No comments:

Post a Comment