Thursday, September 19, 2013

A new danger for NHL fighters and the NFL ups the cost of tickets

From where I sit it looks like the NHL is trying to break some knuckles...

via tumblr.com

I really don't understand the logic of making players keep their helmets on during fights. How is this going to protect the players when visors are being grandfathered in? I believe they are trying to protect against concussions. Which is fair enough. But then create break-away visors. Until it's fully outlawed, and that will never happen, there will be fights in hockey. Helmets are not concussion proof. Hit your head hard enough and you will get a concussion. It's fairly straight forward. Players are well aware of the risks associated with fighting. There are less pure goons left in the league. If they can't play a regular shift, they won't make the NHL. So, as long as fighting is part of the game, why are players being put at a secondary, unnecessary risk of injury? Is this a way for the league to keep fighters off the ice? A not-so-subtle way to appease the whiners who want fighting abolished?  In response to that I quote the great Conn Smythe, “We're going to have to do something about all this violence or people are going to keep buying tickets.”

I recently complained about hockey tickets...now I want to take aim atthe NFL.



via espn.go.com

Naturally, Super Bowl tickets are going up. I will give them some credit for lowering the price on 'cheap' seats to $500. However, their excuse of wanting to cut off the scalpers, rings quite hollow. The Super Bowl is hugely profitable. It's the biggest annual sports show in the world. But they could make huge amounts of money and give tickets away for free. So, what's the real motivation behind the increase? Greed. Plain and simple. As long as people are willing to pay the asking price upfront the NFL will just keep upping the cost. I don't blame them for it at all. However, don't piss in my ear and tell me it's raining. You want to make more money. It's got nothing to do with cutting out the scalpers. It has to do with you wanting a piece of the action. And the NFL wants to get as much of that action as they can.

At least that's how I see it...and I sit in the cheap seats.

No comments:

Post a Comment