Tuesday, September 17, 2013

the Panthers make history...with an empty rink

From where I sit it looks like the Florida Panthers got shut out...



via sports.yahoo.com

I have a couple questions here...primarily: who's the idiot scheduling a meaningless game as a matinee on a Monday? I know it's pre-season and attendance doesn't mean a damn thing. Even in major hockey centres there isn't a guaranteed sellout. However, there's no reason an NHL game at any time of year should be outdrawn by the Drumheller Dragons! I understand what the two teams are trying to do and that there's probably a limit on ice availability. My other question is: can't be something to avoid making the league look this bad?  This picture and others like it went viral.  Yes, we all know attendance is bad in some US cities...but this is pathetic.  The Panthers should have done more to prevent such an embarrassment. Bring in school kids. Schedule it on a weekend. Only sell lower bowl seats. Make it a straight up back to back game. Hell, go for six periods and call it the longest scheduled game in the league. Something. Anything. Just don't let the world see the best players in a literally empty arena.

At least that's how I see it...and I sit in the cheap seats.

No comments:

Post a Comment