Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Costas calls Olympic sport 'Jackass' inspired

From where I sit it looks like Bob Costas needs to study his Olympic sports...



For starters a good number of Winter Olympic sports look to be 'Jackass' inspired. Hurtling feet first, or better yet head first, down an icy ditch at 150km/h! Jumping off the side of a mountain! There's even one where skiers have to stop every few minutes to shoot a gun! All of those sound like they belong on 'Jackass'...yet each of them is a venerable Olympic sport dating from the first Winter Games. As for whether or not sports like slopestyle or skicross belong in the Olympics, I think it's great. At the very least it's appealing to younger demographics. Do I fully understand the intricacies of slopestyle or half-pipe? No. But that doesn't mean I can't watch and marvel at what these brave (crazy) men and women are doing. It also helps to increase Canada's chances of bringing home more medals. And I certainly won't complain about that.

At least that's how I see it...and I sit in the cheap seats.

No comments:

Post a Comment