Thursday, January 2, 2014

USA Hockey ignites controversy with it's team

From where I sit it looks like Team USA wasn't out to win a popularity contest...

via bleacherreport.com

With the American Olympic hockey team announcement came the obligatory outcry from fans about omissions and snubs. What struck me the most was the response from Senators fans. Bobby Ryan was left off the team and a good number of Ottawa supporters are furious. My question is...why? The vast majority of Sens fans are Canadian. So wouldn't you want the USA to have a bad team? I sure do. Quite frankly, I think the Hockey USA has picked a wise team. I don't know if it's a winner, but it's certainly well rounded. Secondarily, I think it's great that the US is finally in a position to question selections. It's better for the game as a whole to have a strong presence in the US. A controversy about selections means Americans actually care enough about the game to be upset. Let's face it, in Canada there are still recriminations over who was not part of the team in 2010...and they won! So, the more interest that shown in the US, the better. Even if it means more of those annoying “U-S-A, U-S-A” chants.

At least that's how I see it...and I sit in the cheap seats.

No comments:

Post a Comment