Monday, November 11, 2013

A moment to Remember

From where I sit it looks like 'thank you' is insufficient...



I've grown up with sports. Being able to spend a few hours relaxing with a game on is something many of us take for granted. The life we enjoy today would never have been possible without the sacrifice of tens of thousands young men and women. The pictures of graveyards are visually overwhelming. The sight of row, upon row, upon row of headstones is staggering.



via en.wikipedia.org

The impact for me is deeply personal. While, I had one grandfather serve in World War 2, he never saw action over-seas. However, my other grandfather was in the Netherlands. He saw the devastation. He saw the madness. He was finally saved by the Canadians. If it wasn't for their sacrifice I wouldn't be here. Neither would my daughter. As she grows I will teach her about the soldiers who died for us. Someday I want to take her to Vimy Ridge, to Juno Beach, to Arnhem. I want her to see and try to understand what happened to give her the life she enjoys. More importantly I want her to have an opportunity to say thank you. I want to say thank you, too. Even though it seems so insufficient.

At least that's how I see it...and I sit in the cheap seats.

No comments:

Post a Comment