Tuesday, November 26, 2013

The NHL gets huge money from Rogers and a great graphic

From where I sit it looks like the NHL landscape in Canada is making a massive change...

via business.financialpost.com

Congrats to Rogers for getting the deal...but what does this mean to me? Probably more money out the door. As a transplanted Vancouverite, I have limited chances to watch the Canucks. However, with regional restrictions being lifted I expect to be able to watch most of the Canucks games. My brother can watch his Canadiens. And I will bet my ass it's going to cost big money to get those games in Edmonton. I will probably still get the Oilers/Flames coverage on my normal cable. But for those extra games I will need to have extra channels. And that won't be cheap. So, how will they apply that to their streaming feed? Or will I actually be able to watch on-line for 'free'? As for radio coverage, what will that mean to Edmontonians? Right now the Oilers rights are held by Corus Entertainment (630 CHED). Rogers has 3 stations in Edmonton, none of which are conducive to hockey broadcasts (91.7 the Bounce, 102.9 Sonic and 101.7 World FM). Will this mean a format change? Or a new property for Rogers in Alberta? As for TSN, they're facing a massive challenge without the NHL. I'm expecting to see increased coverage of international events, like the World Juniors and World Championship. And now what do they do with the old 'Hockey Night in Canada' theme song?

Just as an aside, I think I found the perfect sports graphic...

via bleacherreport.com

What make this so good? For starters, it's interesting to look at, seeing how every team completes the circle. It's colourful and generates memories and discussion based on the games on display. But, more importantly it reveals absolutely nothing. There is no insight to be gained by looking at it. It doesn't show a trend. It's just to look at. And it's a safe bet there are football fans around the world staring at it...

At least that's how I see it...and I sit in the cheap seats.

No comments:

Post a Comment