Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Martin keeping the bullies at bay

From where I sit it looks like another case of blaming the victim...

via blogs.thescore.com

I get it. Initiation is part of team building. Making everyone feel like they're part of the group. But at what point do you cross the line? When does initiation become hazing? More importantly, when should it become a public matter? Naturally, the Dolphins, and apparently several other NFLers, would like this to have been an in-house situation. Quite frankly, I'm glad it's not. Like it or not, these guys are role models for children. With Martin standing up to the bully he's showing kids they can do the same thing. Martin didn't use his fists. He didn't start taking it out on his family. He didn't decide to 'man-up', he decided to grow up. It takes more courage to walk away, than to shut up and take the abuse. Jonathan Martin shouldn't be condemned, but praised. He's taking steps to make life safer for kids who are victims of bullies. Sadly, Martin seems to still have bullies to take on, but he's made an important first step, he quoted Popeye, “That's all I can stands, I can't stands no more.”

At least that's how I see it...and I sit in the cheap seats.

No comments:

Post a Comment